As you come to him, the living Stone--rejected by men but chosen by God and precious to him--you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. 1 Peter 2: 4-5

Friday, March 18, 2011

Baby Fever....Quenched

It started on Sunday, the baby fever. We had a shower for one of my neices and the whole Stone clan was there. There were sweet little babies like this......
and sweet, rough and tumble little boys
and all of the sudden, I wanted another. Wouldn't it be nice to have just one more? Maybe a little boy this time? We could do it. It'd be hectic, loud, crazy, expensive, messy. My father would bug his eyes and sigh. Say something like, "Geez" Nanny would say, "Good heavens, more?" The kids would scream "NO! You promised no more!" And various friends, aquaintances, coworkers would come up with pithy comments like, "You know what causes that, you know," "You certainly have your hands full," and "Better you than me."

Oh, but sweet little clothes. Sweet little fuzzy heads asleep on my chest. Just one last time of feeling my child move inside of me.

(Insert record scratch sound effect here)

Fast forward to today. All since 4:15.
Maddy and Hannah fighting in the car.
Charlotte following me around yelling, "Mamamamamamamamama (big breath in) Mamamamamama!" --sweet the first ten or so times
Falling over the laundry on the steps
Trying to find something relatively healthy, easy, available, that everyone will eat for dinner after getting home at 5:15.
Charlotte pouring out the water bottle all over the end table
Tantrum over picking up the Barbies
Tantrum over only being able to get 4 Barbies out to play with
Picking up all the laundry around the house for the weekly ten load laundry marathon

What was I thinking!?!?

I am old.
The pregnancy with Charlotte brought about an amazing amount of health problems.
I get fat pregnant. Really really fat.
I can't keep up with the laundry, dishes, messes of the kids we have.
We can't afford another day care bill.
I like my laying on the couch after Charlotte and Hannah's bedtime time.
I like sleeping through the night.

It brings to mind one of Hannah's very favorite songs lately. One of those lessons that it took me a while to learn, and that obviously, I am still struggling with.
You may have heard it--by the Rolling Stones.

You can't always get what you want
You can't always get what you want
You can't always get what you want
But if you try some times,
You just might find
You get what you need


1 comment:

  1. Funny! It made me think of how our family lives change - 10 years ago I cooked dinner, played basketball with Drew in the driveway, did yardwork, rode bikes with Drew, etc. So different from now, when it's all about soccer, Scouts, karate, eating out. Times change - I'm way too old to handle the demands of a baby now. Cool how God equips you with what you need when you need it.

    ReplyDelete