As you come to him, the living Stone--rejected by men but chosen by God and precious to him--you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. 1 Peter 2: 4-5

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Welcome Spring!

Tomorrow is the first official day of Spring, but I didn't know if I would get a chance to blog tomorrow, so I thought I would share today. We are all ready for spring, to dig out the summer clothes and shoes, put away the heavy sweaters, corduroys, tights, and boots.
and best of all...sandals!
I never realized how much my winter wardrobe matches my winter mood until this weekend when I packed it all up and put it away. Gray, gray, black, gray, darker gray, purple gray, more black. Big, bulky, shapeless. Blah, blah, blah.

And that is what I felt this winter. Blah.
I have never really been a big believer in SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder)--I always thought...so it's cold. It's dreary. It's life. Get over it.
(Really, I am known for my compassion....really)

Then this winter hit. And I wasn't really sad, as much as numb. After the excitement of the holidays was over, I just couldn't muster much excitement for anything else. I was tired, devoid of energy, unable to sleep well, yet all I wanted to do was sleep. Things I once enjoyed now I couldn't be bothered to even do. I found satisfaction in nothing. I didn't want to cook, clean, do laundry, go to work, exercise, go anywhere, do anything. I ate with no regard to nutritional value and gained weight. I felt blah and looked blah.
To be honest, I thought I was losing it.

And then last week, the weather turned warmer. I spent last Saturday at a track meet, sitting in the sun. It was long. It was hot. It was boring except when Maddy was running. And I felt myself getting happy. The fog clearing. The weight lifting.

This weekend I have had lots of extra energy. Still didn't particularly want to clean, cook, or do laundry, but I willingly did them all. Cleaned out a closet or two. Played with my little girls instead of laying on the couch watching them play.

Spring has sprung. And life is good again.

No comments:

Post a Comment