As you come to him, the living Stone--rejected by men but chosen by God and precious to him--you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. 1 Peter 2: 4-5

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Selflessness, Stomachaches, and Superbowls

Well, what do you know....I have my picture taking abilities back and here it is days later and still no new pictures posted. I do have some that I have taken, but it is a matter of getting them off of the camera and I'm too lazy to do that right now. Let me assure you though, they are cute!

Just some things on my mind...because I am rambling to myself in my head and aloud to whoever will listen...

Selflessness: As a parent, you need it. As a Christian, you are supposed to have it. As a human being, you (ok, I) so often don't. I sacrifice, but not with a happy heart. Take this morning for instance. I was tired, after being up a good portion of the night with a sick husband (more on that later). I got up to get ready to go to church and pulled out what I was going to wear, put it on, and for the first time in a lllllooooonnnnngggg time, actually felt alright about the outfit and left it on (whereas most Sundays, I end up standing in the middle of a pile of clothes in my underwear steamed because I have nothing to wear). I get through Sunday school, the dropping off of children at the nursery, the running up to the choir loft late as usual, the singing and go to sit down. And then I see it. There are bleach stains on my skirt. Probably not noticeable to anyone else, but noticeable to me. Then I look at the sleeve of my sweater and notice that it has come unraveled underneath, leaving a gaping hole. Now, had I noticed it sooner, would I have still worn them? You betcha, because a. I had panty hose that matched and I could find matching shoes and b. the aforementioned lack of pre-church clothing meltdown. But then it hit me. The clothes I was wearing were from before Daryl. Actually, most of the clothes I own are from before Daryl. And chances are, unless we win the lottery (which I kinda think you have to play to win), it will be a long time before I go shopping for myself again. And quite honestly, that stinks. I sacrifice willingly--I work in Christian education because I feel led of the Lord to do so and so that my children can get an education that we could otherwise not afford. We buy store brand groceries, use the television as our main source of family entertainment, and rely heavily on my parents when the kids have a need we can't fill. I do not buy for myself anything, unless it is marked down so I can buy it for less than $5.00--really, $5.00. and usually I am OK with this, knowing that the payoff is, indeed eternal and incredibly worth it. But as I sat there this morning, I thought to myself..."We will be paying for our children's education for 22 more years." Twenty two more years of sacrifice, of selflessness, of wearing old clothes and buying $5.00 new clothes. And that's when I also realized that I needed an attitude check--that so many have so much more, true, but the majority of the world has so much less. That the really important thing in life is not what I wear...in fact no one really cares but me anyhow, and that I should care a whole lot less than I do. I definitely need God to change my heart, and will be praying that His will in that area be done.

Stomachaches: I didn't feel well yesterday, my designated organizing day, so the other half of the kitchen didn't get organized. I said five weeks, didn't I? Yep...you got it...five weeks on the dot. My attention span, or lack thereof, amazes me sometimes. anyways, it was mild...still there if I think about it, but I'm OK. Daryl, however, is not. He has the momma of all stomachaches--the kind that has had him writhing and moaning in pain for the last, let's see, 13 hours. I don't know whether it is a particularly lethal form of the bug I have or what I suspect is a gall bladder issue, but my hubby is sick. And not sleeping. And stubborn as they come. The man will not go to the doctor, even though he has to walk all hunched over when he stumbles to the bathroom to vomit. Sigh. Men.

Superbowls: I have discovered it!!!! The secret to getting your teenagers to clean!!! It's quite easy, actually. Just host a Superbowl party for their friends. It appears that they are quite content to live in filfth until someone they know is going to come over. The three of them cleaned the living room, breakfast room, kitchen, foyer, and the bathroom. Then, we got a message that the soccer team was getting together for a scrimmage, to which Josh replied, "I can't go. I have to clean." Will wonders never cease???

No comments:

Post a Comment