As you come to him, the living Stone--rejected by men but chosen by God and precious to him--you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. 1 Peter 2: 4-5

Saturday, April 10, 2010

The Fruits of my Labor (or why I have the greatest kids ever!)

Parenthood is a hard job. It is one of those 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year, forever jobs. One you never really take a break from, for even when you are absent in the body, your mind and heart are still with your kids.

Parenthood isn't always fun. There are the sick days, the grumpy days, the messy days. The days where you feel unappreciated, unloved, ineffective. The days where you wonder if you are doing a good job, if you are giving them all they need, if you are making the right choices.

There are days you want to scream. Days you want to cry. Days you want to stomp your feet and call, "No fair!" And if you are anything like me, you usually do it.

Today was not one of those days. Today was one of those days where I was totally blown away by my children. Totally proud. Totally surprised. Totally in awe of their kindness and generosity and love.

Not too long ago, Sarah and Maddy cleaned the house for me. It was right after I had hurt my back and could hardly move. My mother agreed to pay them if they would only lighten my load and clean the house one weekend. And they did. They did a great job, and this week, when we were at the lake, my mom paid them.

Tonight was date night. Daryl and I went to Carraba's for dinner, and as we were talking about our plans for Sunday, I mentioned that I was going to take the girls to spend their Grandma money. I had been so impressed that they hadn't been bugging me to take them already and had cheerfully watched the girls while I did laundry today. Those were my plans for Sunday. Sarah and Maddy had different plans though.

Those sweet girls decided, a week and a half ago, to give their grandma money to me so that I could go shopping. For myself. They knew I would never agree if they suggested it (and they were right!) so they gave it to Daryl to give to me on our date night.

My sweet sweet girls, who love to shop more than just about anything else in the world, gave up their money to me. The money that they worked so hard for so that they could go shopping. Doing something they didn't want to do. All for me. Because they thought I needed a shopping trip. Because when I had taken them Easter shopping, they had realized that I hadn't gotten myself anything.

I didn't want to take their money. Refused it at first. But Daryl convinced me to accept their gift, and as hard as it was to do so, I did. I took myself shopping for the first time in a long time, and let me tell you...they come by their shopping genes naturally. When I got home, after numerous hugs and telling them how much I loved them and how proud I was (and giving them back half of their money), I had a fashion show for them. And they were just as happy for me as if it were their own new clothes.

What amazing children I have. Their generosity and thoughtfulness touches my heart. Their selflessness touches me. Their love for me amazes me and delights me. I am proud to call them my daughters, my sisters in Christ, and my friends.

(A big huge thank you to my wonderful husband too, for kicking in some of his own money too! How did I get so lucky?)

1 comment: