As you come to him, the living Stone--rejected by men but chosen by God and precious to him--you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. 1 Peter 2: 4-5

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Happy Anniversary to Us!

Eight years ago today, I married my best friend. The kids like to say that "we" got married, and really, truth be told, we were a package deal. When Daryl and I got married, it completed us as a family. I got a husband and they got a dad.

Eight years ago, I thought I knew what marriage was. I had been married. I knew what it was like to share a home with another person, to share my heart. I knew what it was to be a parent. I knew what it was to create a child with another person and to care for it and love it. Eight years ago, I thought I knew. Eight years ago, I was wrong.

Now, eight years later, I realize all I had been missing. And eight years later, I am even more in love with the man who introduced me to true love. To unselfish, unconditional love.

In some ways it seems so long ago since that afternoon when Josh walked me down the aisle and gave me away. In other ways, it seems like only yesterday. In some ways, I miss those days, the days with more time and energy for each other. In other ways, I so love the big, busy, boisterous family we have become. In all ways, on all days, I am so thankful for the blessings that God has given us in the last eight years.

Today, Daryl and I celebrate eight years of marriage and nine years (minus one day) of being together. He surprised me with tickets to Phantom of the Opera at the Fox. We went to see this same show early in our relationship, and we had a pretty serious disagreement before we went. I admit that I have no recollection of the show, but vivid recollection of how my heart felt like it was turned inside out. I can't wait to go and see it with new, older, wiser, and I admit, more rational eyes.

I was waiting for my tutoring check to come in from the school, just as I was for Father's Day and his birthday, so I could get him a super cool gift that I had been planning for months. Well, it still isn't here, so instead, Daryl got this beautiful bouquet of candy from me. Each kind of candy had significance--sweet tarts for my sweet heart, and others equally corny...
The kids--ok, really the girls, but Josh agreed to it--made us each a coupon book. So sweet those three!

Then, when we both got home from working/tutoring, we went out to Red Lobster for dinner, where I completely disregarded my diet. The grilled shrimp and scallops weren't too bad. Nor was the steamed broccoli. I think it was the two cheese/garlic biscuits that did me in!
Anyways...one day at a time, no guilt, and move on. Tomorrow is another day.
The only picture I have of us on our anniversary date is really not even of us, but of Hannah, clinging to Daryl, sobbing and begging to go with us.


Happy Anniversary, Daryl! It's been a great eight years. I love you!

1 comment: