As you come to him, the living Stone--rejected by men but chosen by God and precious to him--you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. 1 Peter 2: 4-5

Friday, November 19, 2010

A Week of Thankfulness 11/16-11/18

It's been a week. What a week. The week before Thanksgiving break after a weekend of being away from home. I was unprepared for work. Crazy hectic at home. But yet, I was thankful. On Facebook.

Tuesday, 11/16 Today I am thankful for the broken road...
While laying on the couch dead tired with a bad back one night, I was perusing Facebook and saw where my sister in law was wishing my ex-husband a happy birthday. And while thoughts of my ex-husband usually stir up a jumble of feelings, today it made me thankful. For had I not met him, been through what I did, been down that broken road, I wouldn't be where I am now. The broken road with Michael led me back to the Lord, back into church, and to Daryl. And while I wouldn't wish my experience on anyone, I am so very very thankful that God led me down that broken road...to Daryl, to Hannah and Charlotte, to Zion Hill, to ELCA.

Wednesday, 11/17 Today I am thankful to have had Jim Shannon in my life. A born again believer, a man of God, a true servant. RIP Mr. Jim. I'll miss you!
Jim Shannon lost his battle with cancer and went to be with the Lord early Wednesday morning. I was sad, to be certain, but along with sadness was a profound sense of relief. Relief that it was finally over, that he was pain free, that the waiting and wondering were over for his family. I've grieved the loss of this dear friend for the last month, overcome by such a profound sadness at times that it had overwhelmed me. When it finally happened, I feel like my grieving ended. I'm sure that tomorrow at his memorial service that the sadness will return, but for now, I smile when I think of him finally meeting his Lord and Savior.

Thursday, 11/18 I am thankful for sweet shopping trips with my Hannah for "new Barbies to take for show and tell." Hannah was finally Student of the Week this week, and part of that is that she got to bring a special show and tell to share with the class. Every time we asked her what she wanted to take, she said, "A new Barbie from Walmart!" Well, she must have been particularly cute while she said it to her Daddy, because he gave his blessing and off to Walmart we went. Such a sweet time together. It's not often we get time just us without a little sister or a big sister or two. Love love love me some Hannah (especially in those times when she is not crying all the way to school because there is a "hole in her toast!"- a story for another time!)

and today's? It gets a post all it's own!

No comments:

Post a Comment