As you come to him, the living Stone--rejected by men but chosen by God and precious to him--you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. 1 Peter 2: 4-5

Monday, March 30, 2009

And the hits keep coming...

* to wash dishes in our house, you must do the following: simultaneously push the "heat dry" and "normal wash" buttons until all the buttons light up. Turn on hot water and let it run hot for 3 minutes. Push the "wash" button. Let it run for 30 seconds. Press "cancel/drain"...twice. Press "wash." Repeat at least three times, or every time the "clean" button flashes. And...did I mention that you practically have to hand wash the dishes before you load it. And, if you are really lucky, you might get a couple of dishes that are fit for using.

* to wash clothes, make sure that you slam the lid down, and then punch it closed again. Otherwise, it will get stuck after rinse and refuse to spin and drain.

*That long piece of wood hanging off the wall in our stair well? Yep, that would be our banister.

*In the last week there have been rescheduled dissertation defense dates (a source of much unhappiness and stress in our home) and a horrible case of bronchitis that still has me praising God for 45 minutes of uninterrupted sleep (plus a parapro who is out this week with a sick child). There have been broken hearts and lots of girl drama.

*But the kicker? The proverbial straw? The icing on the cake? Yep...that would be the car that sat for ten minutes this morning...half in our driveway and half in the street because it wouldn't start. The car that was just in the shop for 6 whole weeks. The car that we just paid $2500 for because we thought it was fixed.

So is it any wonder that I am worried about my appointment tomorrow? It is just a regular monthly appointment, nothing special (that comes on Thursday--our big ultrasound!) but with last month's appointment and the great "no heartbeat" trauma, I'm a little spooked. I have been so sick these last two weeks and I haven't really noticed a whole lot of movement. And I still haven't been able to find peace in this pregnancy. I have a feeling this will be a long night--not only because of the violent coughing fits, but because my mind will not sleep, even though my body craves it more than anything. My devotion this morning, and really for the last few days, has been about surrenduring to God, and this is one area in which I struggle. When I say that I have to surrender every single day, it is an understatement. I have to struggle to surrender every day. The control freak in me just doesn't want to let it go, yet I know I will never find peace until I do. How to do this...that is the question. I know I need to, my scripture reading confirms it--I have verse after verse highlighted in my Bible, reminding me of my weakness and my dependence on Him. And though I can say in my head, and aloud, that I should and will "let go and let God"...this is one thing, that for me, is easier said than done.

1 comment:

  1. when it rains, it pours, huh? i know what you mean about your mind not sleeping. i've been a crazy monster mom lately, yelling at josiah and i feel so horrible. and am really at a loss as to what to do with him.

    will be thinking of you today and on thursday. i am sure everything is going to be fine.

    ReplyDelete