As you come to him, the living Stone--rejected by men but chosen by God and precious to him--you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. 1 Peter 2: 4-5

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

It doesn't take much

Years ago, and it might have even been the first birthday that Daryl and I were married, Josh overheard me wish I had a product that I had seen on TV--the pasta pot. A major Kraft macaroni and cheese connoiseur, I had been draining the kids' nightly meal with a lid--though not a nifty one with holes--and often with the result of burning my hands or face with the steam. Over the years, this pot has gotten a lot of use. A lot. The top even more, as I have used it no matter what pot I cooked in, whenever something required draining.
I needed, though, a regular collander. It was just always one of those things that I never got around to buying for myself. I wouldn't think of it when I had money. And when I did think of it (over a pan of steaming pasta for which the lid was too small), I had something better or more necessary to spend my money on. When my mom asked me what I wanted for Christmas, I told her a collander, to which she responded, "I'm not going to get you a collander for Christmas!" I told my mother to tell my siblings, and yet the collander became that elusive Christmas wish. SAD, I know. Well today, the thought and the cash collided and I bought myself this:


And we even had spaghetti to celebrate.
It's the little things that make me happy.
And the little girl--the three year old one in particular tonight. She has a group of friends that she refers to quite often. In real life, she has only a few friends, as she is just with Charlotte at the sitter's and goes nowhere else but church. Tonight she was playing Wii Fit, and "running" --which really involves her running in place while someone else shakes the controller to make it look like she is making progress. Anyways, as usual, she keeps up a constant dialogue, much of which we tune out. Tonight, though, she caught my ear.
Hannah: Darn it. Darn it. (in her best Boston accent--Dawn it)
Sarah: Where did you hear that?
Hannah: Huh?
Sarah: Who taught you to say that?
Hannah: My friends. Sometimes they are not good. Sometimes they even call me bad names.
Sarah: Bad names? Like what?
Hannah (looking around like she is about to say a really bad word): bad duckling!!
love love love that girl...even if she is a bad duckling!

No comments:

Post a Comment