As you come to him, the living Stone--rejected by men but chosen by God and precious to him--you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. 1 Peter 2: 4-5

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

I'm sick and I'm tired, and quite honestly, I'm sick and tired of the daily grind that is the last two weeks of school.  So I'm uninspired.  And I haven't taken any cute pictures.  So I'm joining in the Wednesday Hodgepodge with Joyce from This Side of the Pond.



1. What reveals more about a woman-her refrigerator or her purse?
There probably is a right answer to this, but I don't have it.  If all women are anything like me, her purse and her refrigerator reveal the same thing.  In my purse is my wallet, my Kroger plus card and my debit card floating conspicuously around (NOT in the wallet).  I've got used tissues (not mine), a stray sucker or two (again, not mine), my weight watcher calculator and tracker, old receipts and expired coupons.  Somewhere, under all that, are my keys.    In my refrigerator are three half gallons of milk, two of them half full.  A nice selection of food and then the diet variety of the same food.  Three cartons of eggs, two of them expired.  A pizza box from Sunday with exactly one small piece of supreme pizza that no one will ever eat.  So both of these things say shout, "Here is a fat (but trying), unorganized, Kroger shopper!"

2. When was the last time you went to the zoo? Where? What's your favorite zoo animal?
How sad it is that I have no idea?  I know we went when Hannah was two-ish (and I know this only because I remember what she was wearing and it is currently hanging in Charlotte's closet), but for some reason, I think we have gone since then too.  We did go to the Aquarium in Chattanooga last September.  My favorite animal?  I like the otters.

3. What social issue fires you up?
Right now, immigration issues (this may be politically incorrect, but I can't read any of the signs in the Payless down the street and it ticks me off.  We're in America, people!)  and people spongeing off of the government.  I pay my taxes like anyone else, and when I was suddenly left a single mother with three small children, I got a low paying preschool teacher job.  And even though it wasn't enough to support us, it was too much to receive any assistance.  I know this for a fact because I stood in the "welfare line" for three hours with three children, hanging my head in shame, in tears, only to be told I made too much money.  (and btw, this was the same day I filed for bankruptcy and divorce...a banner day, I tell you)  People who don't work because they choose not to, yet happily receive government assistance?  Yeah...grrrr.

4. Are you a coupon clipper? If so, are you extreme?
Nope.  Used to be, but not anymore.  I find I can do just as well at Kroger with our Kroger card, generic brands, and the occasional sale.  I don't have time to clip coupons, and when I do and I put them in that nifty little coupon sorter thingy, I always leave it at home.  And while the idea of a stockpile secretly fascinates me, we have no more room for ANYTHING in this house, much less 48 tubes of toothpaste.

5. What is one of your favorite souvenirs brought back from your travels?
I bought a dress in Hawaii that I loved.  My favorite color, a gorgeous print, and it reminded me of my honeymoon.  Then I washed and dried it.  And now it would fit Maddy.

6. Lemon meringue or key lime?
Neither.  Both break the "if it is fruit it is not dessert" rule.

7. What is the most beautiful word you know in any language?
I know I should have some deep, meaningful answer to this.  Love.  Mercy.  Grace.  Jesus.  But really?  gli elletrodomestici  Just say it once.  I dare you.  It's a beautiful Italian word. (and it means household appliance--how ironic)

8. Insert your own random thought here.
Please hand me the "Mother of the Year" award.  Last week, I totally missed the middle school awards ceremony where Maddy got her A-B honor roll certificate.  This week, determined to do better, I wrote the highschool awards ceremony time on my calendar.  Calendars, however, only work when you look at them periodically.  Yep.  Sarah texted me from the ceremony to tell me it had started.  I quickly left my classroom and got there in time to see Sarah receive the 10th grade English award.  But...no camera.  So...see that little speck on the right in this horribly taken picture?  yep....that's my girl!


3 comments:

  1. Glad to see you on the Hodgepodge. As a former teacher and mother of 5 (now 20-28) I remember those last days of school can be brutal. Hang in there! In the wise words of Ann Voskamp, "life is not an emergency." Praying for peace and sanity tucked in to the chaos. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your answers and your humor. Don't feel too bad about your mother mishap...it happens to all of us! Enjoy the rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This list makes me laugh :) I'd say you are in serious need of a summer vacation right about now!

    ReplyDelete