As you come to him, the living Stone--rejected by men but chosen by God and precious to him--you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. 1 Peter 2: 4-5

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

"Mom, I'm throwing up and I have a 103.6 temperature"

Not something you really want to hear at 2:34 in the morning. But this is what I was awakened to. Josh has been sick with bronchitis for a few days, but had started taking antibiotic and this was the last thing I expected.

Now, one of the very favorite stories Josh loves to tell about me is about when the last time he had a stomach bug (years ago, by the way) he came to tell me he was throwing up in the middle of the night and I, in all of my sleepy glory, felt his head, patted him on the back and told him he would be ok and to go back to bed. Over the next few hours, he came down to our room several times, and each time I reacted the same way. Finally the poor boy took his comforter into the bathroom and fell asleep on the floor. He tells this to spotlight my "finer" mom moments (as well as the famed "hot dog incident" that will live in infamy within our family forever). In my defense, I have been known to have entire hour long conversations on the phone in my sleep and not remember it. Anyways, remembering this, I got up and took care of my baby boy until 4:00, when I sent him to bed with a barf bowl and only a 101 degree fever.

On my way back to bed, I hear great shrieks from Hannah's room. I mean, I was sure that she had thrown up. She was hysterical. When I went in there to check on her, I found a clean bed but one very little upset little girl with....drumroll please..."a runny nose." A runny nose? Are you kidding me? All of that because you have a runny nose? So I got her a "napkin" cuddled and snuggled her like a good mom, lay on her floor so she could go back to sleep. I got to bed about 4:30, only to awakened again at 5:00 by more screaming about a runny nose.

This time, since it was over the monitor, I felt completely justified in ignoring it (knowing that Daryl would ignore it and assume I would get her) and finally, he went to her. Yes!!! I had an hour before I had to get up. Two minutes later, Hannah is in our bed...ON MY SIDE...and Daryl has turned his back on us and gone to sleep.

So I'm tired. Really tired. Unbelievably tired. The "oh my gosh, won't this baby please sleep" tired of having a newborn. OH MY GOSH...I am going to have a newborn! I don't know if I'm ready for that again...ready or not, though, here it comes, HUH?

And it doesn't look like tonight will be any better...I deposited Hannah on the couch with an episode of Caillou and went to get dressed, and when I was coming back, she was drinking out of Josh's glass. Just great.

No comments:

Post a Comment