As you come to him, the living Stone--rejected by men but chosen by God and precious to him--you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. 1 Peter 2: 4-5

Friday, April 8, 2011

Hitting this a little late, because we were on our way home from our spring break get away, and I was busy washing, packing, loading, and getting one last tan in.

This week's topic:  If you met me.... 

GO.
If you met me, there would probably be a few minutes of uncomfortable silence.  You might think I was a bit stand off-ish, snobby even.  You might think that maybe I wasn't worth getting to know.  That someone who can't even make eye contact can't be an interesting person.

But you would be wrong.  Because instead of cold and uncaring, I am terribly shy and incredibly insecure.

This has been something that I have struggled with since I was a child.  I can't tell you how many times people have revealed to me their first impressions, and they haven't been pretty.  How many times people have thought I was slighting them by not saying hello or talking much, when inside, I have been struggling with the decision to speak, wondering if the person in question really wanted to talk to me, or hear my opinion.

Given enough time, though,  you would find that I love to laugh.  That I have a passion for my family, my faith, and my job, which I feel is a calling.  That I love to read, write, and sing.  That I think and act often with my heart instead of my head.  That I care way too much what people think, but that I am desperately trying to change that.

Most of all, if you met me, I hope you'd take the chance and get to know me.

STOP.

Eh...not my best work.  After I just read it back, I realize that it sounds like I just wrote off the top of my head (which...duh, Lisa...is the point).  It is worth mentioning that I wrote this with a toddler on my shoulder and a four year old chanting, "Mamamamamamamama, Mamamamamamama, Mamamamamama."  Surrounded by sheet rock dust and listening to the dogs dig in the trash.  Ahhhh....it's good to be home!

4 comments:

  1. oh my goodness, I'm SO like this!!! I don't know how many times - after I get to know someone OR rather, they get to know me - that they tell me that they had assumed I was snobby or not interested in people or something like that! This is why I enjoy writing - I can express myself SO MUCH BETTER that way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are being so hard on yourself. Your post was great. It was authentic, and I give you credit for acknowledging how you feel other people might view you. In the scheme of things, I think those who matter will view us the way we are meant to be viewed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Umm... are you my sister from another mother? Seriously, I could have written this post! If I had a nickel for every time I've been told by people who took the time to get to know me though I was a witch with a capital B the first time or two they met me, I wouldn't be a working mom! It makes dating all that much harder because I get nervous and send off all sorts of "hands off" signals!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I have been struggling with the decision to speak, wondering if the person in question really wanted to talk to me, or hear my opinion." --> I have a lot of moments like this too. And most likely, I end up asking the most inappropriate questions...
    As a new follower, I have having a good impression on you from your blog.

    ReplyDelete