As you come to him, the living Stone--rejected by men but chosen by God and precious to him--you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. 1 Peter 2: 4-5

Monday, April 18, 2011

I've become that mom...


No, not that one.  If you are a teacher, you know the kind of mom I mean.  You know, the one who always forgets to send things in with their children for special projects and the ones that you have to remind with neon yellow politely worded so as not to offend reminder notices.

The one that sends in her child's student of the week pictures with half of them missing, and when she does send them in, they are all crumpled from being stuck under the back seat of the car.

The one that has to go buy an Easter basket for her child every year because she can't find where she carefully placed last year's basket.


When did I become her?

Was it when I had children?  No.  That's not it.  When Josh was in preschool, I distinctly remember planning for weeks in advance for the Christmas party that I had signed up to help with, even cutting with a jigsaw a Christmas tree with holes for ornaments for a special bean bag toss.  We did homework right when he came home from school.  Each and every paper from school was lovingly taped to a kitchen cabinet or filed away.

Was it when I became a single mother?  No.  That's not it either.  I was surprisingly put together then.  (The laundry was always out of hand, but I think that is some sort of genetic defect I have :).)  The kids always had what they needed for school, always had matching socks, and I often heard, "I don't know how you do it!" And I went to school at night while working full time too.  Hmmmm....

I think it must have been when I got remarried and finally, after five long years, caught a break.  I finally had someone else to lean on.  Someone else to watch the kids while I had some time to myself.  Only then was I able to relax, and relax I have.  Now instead of working or cleaning until the moment I drop into bed, I enjoy my husband, the TV, the internet.  I read.  I peruse Facebook and message boards.  I blog.  My life is so full, that some things just get lost in the shuffle.

Or...it could be that I'm just horrendously disorganized.  Or old.  Or both.

But I think I'll choose fully blessed. :)

6 comments:

  1. hee hee!! me too!!! :)
    and I'm the administrator's wife! :-O

    ReplyDelete
  2. i do not think it is genetic (from the one who gave her her gene pool)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ready for my break *winks* but I'm already THAT mom, so I cringe to think what it'll be like if I get the break :) Plus, I teach at the school, so it's doubly embarrassing when I need to be "reminded"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let's choose blessed :) Because I like to think that I'm organized and that I'm not old (I'm only 25!) and I'm living a life like yours! If you ever figure out how to do it all again, please share with the rest of us :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Honestly, I am done comparing myself with anyone. I found that I will always fall short, and I don't like that feeling. And I don't like other moms who have no compassion and sensitivity with other moms and acts like they are perfect. I'd stick with, I am a mom of my own kind.
    I have no kids in school yet, and did not attend American school. Is that what teachers here do for reminders? Hmm, for as long as it's 'politely worded', i guess, i should be okay with that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't find them darn easter baskets from the year before ever. I swear there is a black hole in my house that eats holiday decorations (I swear I lost a whole Christmas tree last year), socks and homework never to be seen again. :)

    ReplyDelete